Summer has come ! The longest days and shortest nights are the summer solstice. Welcome to you summer ! Come along with many more mangoes, litchi, raw jackfruit (Echor). And of course bring some auspicious traditional and cultural events of Happiness along with you ! Its very true that summer is very hot but there is no substitute over taking rest at home in the afternoon after eating lunch ! Chilled mango and litchi , ice- cream and Kulfi , lassi or buttermilk would you think summer without these fruits and beverages ! This thinks reminds my childhood !
In vegetables there are lots of things what I prefer too like raw jackfruit and parwal / pointed gourd (patol) . I love this vegetables very much ! So friends today I want to share one rich vegetable curry from our Bengali kitchen . This is nothing but raw jackfruit curry which is called "Gaach Patha" (mutton derived from tree) in Bengali. You cannot believe its taste almost like Mutton preparation. And spices are too same to use. If you prepare it properly this gravy you are done ! Then your menu for anything like dinner or lunch should be hit . So all vegetarian also try this raw jackfruit recipe once. But one thing that I should mention this is not an easy job for beginners because to cut itself you should complete some tedious job... here is a brief idea , check this out ...
|Echor Curry | Raw jackfruit Curry|
- Grease your hands and knife(big one) with oil .
- Cut the jackfruit into halves .
- Wash it under running water to clean sticky oozing sap on raw jackfruit.
- Cut into 1 inch cube.
- Peel off skin and remove inner hard stalk.
- Soak raw jackfruit cubes in turmeric and salt water for some times.
500 gm Raw Jackfruit / Echor cut into cubes
2 medium Potato cut into medium sized cubes
1 big sized onion chopped
2 medium sized tomatoes cut into pcs.
6-7 pods crushed garlic pods
1/4 tsp ginger paste
2 bay leaves
2-3 Red chili
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 inch cinnamon stick
4 green cardamoms
1/4 tsp garam masala powder (cinnamon, green cardamoms,long -1:3:2)
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
4 tbsp curds
2 pinch sugar (for color)
Salt to taste
1/2 cup mustard oil
How to Cook :
- Heat oil in big pressure cooker .
- Fry potato cubes with little salt and turmeric powder. when done keep aside.
- Now add bay leaves, whole red chili and whole garam masala .
- Add onion slice until brown , add garlic paste and ginger
- Add echor cubes with little salt and fry until little brown .
- Add paste of cumin powder , red chili powder and turmeric powder and cook for sometimes.
- Add sugar .
- Add curds and saute for sometimes.
- Add 2 cups warm water close lid and wait for 4-5 whistles .
- Turn off gas stove and wait until steam evaporate .
- Open lid, make sure echor has done , adjust salt and add garam masala powder.
- Serve with plain rice.